You are in the right place to know about the best flexible tripod out there in the market. For those of you who don’t understand what I mean by a flexible tripod, let me introduce you to a whole new variety of tripods.
I have been into photography for some time now, and amongst all of my tripods, Gorillapods are there in my bag every time I go out and shoot. Once you get a hang of it, it is very difficult to leave for a shoot without one.
Surprised huh, well these are not Dr. Octopus’s arms from Spiderman (haha), this is an actual tripod which in fact is one of the best tripods in the market. It sells by the name of Gorillapod (gorillapod is the term coined by the company named Joby which specializes in making these). It comes in all sizes and depending upon your requirement you can opt for one of these at a very sweet price point. I’m gonna help you choose the best gorillapod for your needs in this post. Also, bear with me till the end of this review as I’ll be teaching you some innovative ways to use a GorillaPod
Who is this for?
The answer to this question is almost everybody, even people who love taking pictures from their phones are in love with this little tripod. The main point of attraction of the gorillapod is its flexibility. No other tripod or equipment can match this in terms of flexibility. I’ll include some pictures to show what I mean. Also, most of the professionals make it a habit of moving around with one of these.
It can be an actual life savior when you need to get that perfect shot from that odd angle. These are built to offer maximum traction on an any surface due to the rubberized legs, so that your camera remains safe. Like other tripods, it doesn’t need an even surface to work with.
The fact that it comes for all types of cameras makes it an even better investment. You can get a decent gorillapod for about $80 or so (ball-head included).
Why Joby is the best
As soon as you google Gorillapod the first website that comes up is joby.com ( Do it if you don’t believe me). This is because of one simple reason, they are great when it comes to the quality of their product. Their built is very premium and it feels safe while using. Joby’s tripods are a bit on the expensive side and might stretch your budget a little, but they are worth every penny!
Now, there are a lot of companies that makes flexible tripods, but it would seem correct to make this analogy, A Rolex is a Rolex.
Also, the customer support on Joby is excellent and warranty issues are better addressed than other brands (Personal experience speaking here)!.
Which one is the best for you
After going through this article, I’m sure you will be able to decide which one of these gorillapods is the best for you.
- Joby GorillaPod 500 : This is a small sized Gorillapod specifically designed to hold point and shoot cameras and small mirrorless cameras. It features a ball head and is a great option for people who own small and lightweight cameras. The maximum weight handling capacity of this tripod is about 1lb (500gm). I would suggest not to go to push that limit.
- Joby GorillaPod 3K The 3K model is a premium product and is a must-have for anyone who is serious about photography. It is specifically designed to handle weight of upto 6.6 lb (3Kg) and comes with a ball head. It can easily hold your DSLR along with some heavy lenses, but as I said before, you do not want to push its limits. It is pretty much the most versatile gorillapod as you do not need to worry about its payload capacity. 3kg is a lot of weight and almost all the cameras and lens combinations fall under 3kgs. It sells for $80 with the ball-head.
- Joby GorillaPod 5K : 5K is the biggest brother amongst all of them. It is made out of aluminum and can easily support weights upto 11lb (5kg). You can mount even the heaviest of the lenses and it will hold them steady for as long as you want. It supports even the Nikon D5 or the Canon 1DX. It truly is a beast of a pod!
Some innovative ways to use your Gorillapod!
Enough marketing, now let’s get down to some productive topics. Here I’ll be teaching you five innovative ways in which you can use your gorillapod.
- Use it as a Selfie Stick or vlogging : If you are using a smaller variant of the gorillapod, close the legs of the tripod and mount your camera or phone on it. Bend the legs towards you and use it as a selfie stick or make your own vlogs.
- Wrap it around : Wrap the legs around a beam, tree branch, your bedpost or just anywhere, it won’t move. You can mount it on your car’s door with a Gopro for some amazing footage. It’s great for long exposures too.
Image by:Alberto Frigo. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution -ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License.
- Use it as a chest mount : Wrap one of the legs around your shoulder and rest the other two on your chest. Great for shooting stable videos.
- Turn it Upside Down : Flip the pod upside down and spread two of its legs in opposite directions and hold it by the third. The opposite legs act as balance and will reduce movement in your videos to some extent. Make sure, to flip the videos in post processing.
- Use it to hold flashlights or a mic : Instead of using it to hold a camera, use it hold your lights for your shoot or a mic. You don’t have to stick to the guidelines, do you?
So there you have it guys, that’s five ways in which you can use your gorillapod. Frankly, there is no limitation with this thing. You are free to do whatever you want with your gorillapod.
Summing it All
To sum it all up, I would highly recommend buying a gorillapod if you are a professional photographer looking for that perfect shot or a beginner. It can dramatically increase your capability to compose shots because of its highly flexible and rugged built.
And for the price, I believe its worth a try at least. Look out for the fakes or duplicate ones and never compromise on quality for a cheaper buy because as I have said earlier in my posts, that you don’t want to trust your expensive equipment with a cheap tripod.
I hope you liked this review about Joby Gorillapods. If you have any queries or doubts, please leave them below in the comments section and I’ll be more than happy to help you out. Also, let me know your thoughts on this topic.
Founder of TripodsforAll